Thursday, April 7, 2011

Using RSS feeds

This week for class we searched for and added RSS feeds to follow. RSS, or Really Simple Syndication, is basically a simple way to get instant news in one source, such as your personal Google or Yahoo homepage. Really, the only hard part of this is trying to find the RSS button to click on whatever website you want to follow. For example, I wanted updates from National Geographic, but it took me a good fifteen minutes to actually locate the RSS link. Sometimes the link can be colored or shaped differently, so look closely- I was missing the RSS feed for National Geographic because they were colored gray, and I was looking for an orange button. I've never used RSS in the past, however, I like how the feeds I like to follow are in one place and can see myself using it in the future. The links offered are what I expected and are basically news articles for whatever I was interested in- animals, international affairs, education, etc. For example, in the feed I'm following from Discovery Animals, the article "Why Are Penguins Losing Their Feathers?" which was posted earlier today, is listed first and informed me on the issue, which I had not heard about before seeing the article. I hope to use RSS feeds more to help me keep track of news in all the things I am interested in.
With my RSS feeds, I am now following:
CNN Technology News
EducationNews
National Geograhic Adventure
Discovery Animal News
BBC News

No comments:

Post a Comment